Ballard Commons Park (5701 22nd Ave NW, Seattle, WA 98107) will reopen to the public on March 11, 2023.
Seattle Parks and Recreation and Council Member Strauss are excited to announce the reopening of Ballard Commons Park! In December 2021, Seattle Parks and Recreation closed Ballard Commons Park to conduct several park remediation and improvement projects.
“Every Seattle community deserves a great Seattle park in their neighborhood,” said Mayor Bruce Harrell. “I am excited for Ballard children, families and neighbors who will now be able to enjoy a reopened and restored Ballard Commons Park following necessary renovations and improvements. With community input, we will continue to revitalize and strengthen parks, playgrounds and public spaces across our city, and make them welcoming, enabled, clean and accessible to all.”
“Ballard Commons Park’s grand reopening is our commitment to ensuring that the park is truly a community commons. This marks the third year of my four-year plan to revitalize the park and downtown Ballard. The next steps include the children’s playground with construction beginning in June, the affordable family housing at St. Luke’s Church with construction beginning in September, and the construction of the new sanctuary for St. Luke’s Church beginning next January. It is my mission to create a space in the park for all ages and the opportunity for people to live, engage and enjoy our city park,” said Councilman Dan Strauss.
“We appreciate the patience of neighbors and our community as we take the time to address the damage to the park and install necessary improvements. We look forward to coming together with businesses, neighbors and families to celebrate the park’s reopening and our shared vision for a vibrant and shining park system where the community can come together. Seattle Parks and Recreation is committed to providing a safe and active park for the Ballard community for years to come,” said Superintendent AP Diaz.
During this time, Seattle Parks and Recreation completed the following work:
- Tree plantings
- Full routine maintenance
- Daily garbage and trash removed
- Daily hazardous material removed
- Weekly mowing and lawn care in season
- Pressure washed hard surfaces
- Treatment of shrub beds
- Turf grass renovated
- Winterization of the Portland Loo and placement of sanitation and handwashing stations
- Conversion of pedestrian lighting to LED
- Installation of festival string lights
- Renovation of spray function electrical and plumbing
- Removal of graffiti
- Skating bowl jointing
- Cafe style lighting installed
- 5 new benches are being installed
- Irrigation installation to support new trees
- Continued progress towards playground project (permits submitted, tender expected in early 2023, with construction in second half of 2023).
This closure also allowed Seattle Parks and Recreation to work with community partners, the Ballard Alliance and Council Member Strauss to develop a park activation plan that will work with the community and business community to ensure Ballard Commons is vibrant, safe and welcoming.
“The Ballard community is excited to see the reopening of Ballard Commons Park. The improvements made will enhance the experience for park visitors, and we look forward to celebrating the return of this vital space in downtown Ballard that can be enjoyed by all for its intended use,” said Ballard Alliance Executive Director Mike Stewart.
Seattle Parks and Recreation is partnering with Councilman Strauss and the Ballard Alliance to hold a two-day grand re-opening celebration of the park on March 11th and 12th. The event takes place in Ballard Commons Park and includes:
- Seattle Fire Department fire truck display
- Youth soccer clinic hosted by Ballard FC
- Activity fair that highlights local organizations and businesses
- Skateboard sessions with the Ballard Thrashers Skateboard Club
- Musical performances by School of Rock, Adams Elementary School Choir and other local artists
Moving forward, Ballard Commons will host regular activation events open to neighbors and the community, along with the presence of a park concierge and musical performances by buskers. If you would like to hold a community event at Ballard Commons, email [email protected]